Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rainy days...




It's rainy and cold today on Paros.  Rain is something I've grown quite accustomed to in Europe and had hoped I would be leaving behind on the mainland.  However, it makes today wonderfully lazy.  I get to catch up on some reading (my literature class is asking I finish our first book by Friday) and blogging.  I even just got to try out the drink vending machine in the lobby (complete with cappuccinos, hot chocolate, beer, and snickers among other things).  If the weather holds up a few of us girls may try to catch a soccer game between some of the island teams.  I can't believe my first week in Greece has come and gone in the blink of an eye.  Things are starting to fall into place, and my days now have some semblance of order to them.  I don't seem to be busy but it seems that the only a few moments are I finish breakfast its already time for dinner.  Time here is a funny thing.   I'm sure it will be June before I know it and it pains me to know that my time here is going to pass by far too quickly.  
Yesterday half my school went on an island tour.  We got to see some of the other small towns and a bit of the country side.  This is a beautiful time in Paros.  The hills are green and the flowers are a to bloom.  I am told that in the summer everything is just dusty and the island is covered with marble dust.  It makes me appreciate the beauty of my surroundings even more.  We stopped by a small monastery outside of Lefkeys where they were celebrating their name day.  In Greece they don't really celebrate Birthdays, but rather name days as a tribute to their patron Saint.  This monastery invited us inside for a drink of Uzzo (Greek wine that tastes like black licorice) and some candied fruits.  It as interesting to see nuns in their traditional black garb.  They were so kind and welcoming as I have found everyone on the island.  It is the lowest time of the season on Paros and its almost lonely here.  The presence of our school gives the bars and cafes new and excited customers.  Everyone is thrilled we have arrived.  Danielle and I are going to later head back to Mojo, a cafe by the school.   The   owner promised us yesterday she would be making some of her famous chocolate cake for us to try.  That is tempting enough to brave the weather outside.  I a excited for the remaining 2 classes this week that I have not had yet.  Each day is continues to bring something new.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    Finally, I have a chance to check out your blog site. I have been waiting to actually have the time. It sounds like you are have a wonderful time and the experience of a lifetime. I have only read your latest blog but will try to follow you more closely on your journey. See absolutely everything for me....please?
    Love you and continue to have fun.

    Aunt Elaine Knapp

    ReplyDelete