Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Greek Orthodox Easter



After arriving back in Greece Good Friday, I hardly caught my breath before I was entangled in Easter festivities (hence the delay in blog postings).  The sleepy island town I left for Turkey has blossomed and exploded with crowds and sunlight.  Paros had awoken at last.  Don't get me wrong, it still does not compare to the Paros of high season, but the greek island vacation I was promised in the program brochure has finally arrived.  Easter in Greece is a much different experience than in the States.  Friday night I went to the Church of 100 Doors where I got to witness the magnificent decorations and later in the night the whole town was out for a candle lit procession.  Saturday was spent on the beach but at midnight I joined the rest of the island to bring in Easter amidst bells ringing, fireworks, kisses, and candles.  It was amazing to see everyone old and young out to celebrate Easter.  Although I followed that with sleep, the rest of the town began the eat-a-thon.  I delayed that ritual until the next day when my landlord had a beautiful lamb dinner on the roof of my apartment building.  The day then brought multiple parties where I got to witness a lamb on the spit as well as pork and rabbit.  The Greeks love their meat.

2 comments:

  1. you were down there friday night too??? that's funny cause i almost knocked on your door to see if you wanted to walk down, but then i just ended up wandering off by myself cause everyone wanted to sleep so i figured you'd be in that boat too...silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the lamb on the spit. It is the best tasting and you get to enjoy the whole experience of them turning, carving it up and sampling the fresh grilled taste. It is a very special time of year to partake in with the whole island celebration. What a way to be embraced by the culture! Enjoy every minute....it goes so quickly and you don't want to miss any opportunities that fly your way! Love always....Mom & DAD XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete